My personal Top 50 cars sold/ offered to date #31 – 40
#31 – Duesenberg Model J 1930 Murphy Convertible #2310/J284 SOLD US$2.64 mil.
1930 Duesenberg Model J Disappearing-Top Convertible Coupe
Coachwork by Murphy
CHASSIS NO. 2310
ENGINE NO. J-284
■The Quintessential Model J Duesenberg
■Handsome Disappearing-Top Coachwork
■Owned by Prominent Duesenberg Collectors
■Retains Original Chassis, Body and Engine
■Supercharged and Equipped with Dual-Carburetor Configuration
■Displayed at the 2007 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance
■Pictured in Beverly Rae Kimes’ Book: The Classic Car
■Perfect for ACD Meets, Concours and Classic Car Tours
EMAIL A SPECIALIST
PRINT THIS PAGE
420 CID DOHC Inline 8-Cylinder Engine
Centrifugal Supercharger with Dual Updraft Carburetors
320 BHP at 4,750 RPM
3-Speed Manual Gearbox
4-Wheel Hydraulic Drum Brakes
Live-Axle Suspension with Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs and Double-Acting Hydraulic-Lever Shock AbsorbersThis Car
Among car collectors, amateur enthusiasts and connoisseurs alike, there is a school of thought that the most beautiful American automobiles were produced between the late 1920s and the mid 1930s, and that the rare Murphy-bodied Model J Duesenbergs represent the pinnacle of this grand age of luxury transportation.
The spectacular Duesenberg presented here boasts a wonderful history, a distinguished list of caretakers and an undeniable presence. In every respect, J-284 is a quality automobile that any collector would be proud to own.
As is the case with all Model Js, the history of this car begins in Indiana, where a standard-length chassis was laid down and fitted with Fred Duesenberg’s mighty 420 cubic inch, straight-eight engine. The new chassis made the journey to California where the Walter M. Murphy Company of Pasadena tailored it in their signature body style, the Disappearing-Top Convertible Coupe.
Considered by many to be the most desirable body style of any series made available for the Model J, the handsome Disappearing-Top Convertible Coupe was beautifully suited to the magnificent Duesenberg. Not only were Murphy bodies of the highest quality, they were also elegant, sporting and extravagantly expensive.
According to various accounts, J-284 was originally delivered to the Duesenberg factory’s Los Angeles branch during 1930; however, after remaining unsold for some time, it was later transferred to the New York concessionaire.
This Duesenberg’s first recorded owner was prominent East Coast socialite J.W.Y. Martin. Established in equestrian circles, Mr. Martin owned many highly acclaimed racing horses and hosted the famed Maryland Hunt Cup steeplechase on the grounds of his beautiful Worthington Valley estate.
By Fall 1935, Mr. Martin’s Model J returned to the New York branch, and was then sold to nearby dealer, Jacod & Company. While little information exists regarding the car’s whereabouts during the next decade, unlike many Duesenbergs, J-284 was fortunate to survive the years surrounding WWII.
The next known owner, John Warwick of Reno, Nevada, had come across the car in the early 1950s and kept it for at least five years be- fore selling it to J.W. Isbell. After a brief period at Vann Motors in Reno, in June 1962 the Duesenberg captured William Craig’s attention.
Having relocated from California’s Bay Area to work for Harrah’s Automobile Collection, Mr. Craig continued cultivating his enthusiasm for Duesenberg automobiles, amassing a remarkable collection of Model Js over several decades. After acquiring J-284, he performed a sympathetic restoration and finished the original Murphy coachwork in a gleaming red livery.
In 1967, well-known California collector Bernard Miller purchased the Disappearing-Top Model J from Mr. Craig. A few years later, he sold the car to Leo Gephart who, in turn, sold it to Richard Slobodian of New Jersey.
During Mr. Slobodian’s ownership, the Murphy Roadster was entrusted to legendary classic car restorer Robert Gassaway. Mr. Gassaway treated the Duesenberg to a comprehensive restoration that included the installation of an SJ supercharger, sourced from J-401, a car owned by Mr. Slobodian at the time. According to articles written by R.J. Wilder and other historians, J-401 was one of four supercharged engines loaned to the Pratt and Whitney Aircraft Company in the early 1940s. To test durability and performance, Pratt and Whitney would use the supercharged Duesenberg engines to propel their own airplane- engine superchargers. Once again resplendent in red lacquer, the Model J was fully outfitted in the beau ideal of the time, complete with Bakelite running boards, sweep-hand instruments, chrome wire wheels, Pilot Ray driving lights and gleaming side exhausts.
After J-284 had been returned to its former splendor, it was featured in the September 1973 issue of The Classic Car, the official magazine of the CCCA.
By the early 1980s, Mr. Slobodian had sold the car to fellow New Jersey resident William Murray. When Mr. Murray decided to part with the Duesenberg, it passed to John Denlinger, who eventually consigned it to the Imperial Palace.
Shortly after, the Murphy Roadster joined General William Lyon’s famed Duesenberg collection in Southern California. Given the caliber and variety of Model Js General Lyon has owned, J-284’s inclusion is a tremendous testament to its quality, significance and authenticity. In fact, this magnificent car spent over 15 years with the Lyon Collection before being acquired by the current caretaker, a Southern California collector with a passion for great American classics.
Once in its caring new home, an effort was undertaken to prepare the Duesenberg for future concours displays and regular outings on the open road. In 2007, after being fastidiously prepared by Richie Fass of Stone Barn Automobile Restoration in Vienna, New Jersey, J-284 made its first appearance at the famed Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, taking part in a wonderful display of Duesenberg automobiles.
Since then, the Model J has been shown sparingly and treated to careful and consistent maintenance. The current owner firmly believes in driving his cars, and this Duesenberg is no exception. As it has been exercised regularly and mechanically sorted, the Murphy Roadster is reported to be a very strong driver that benefits from the addition of a centrifugal supercharger and distinctive dual-carburetor configuration.
A Gooding & Company specialist recently had the pleasure of driving J-284 and was awed by its seemingly limitless reserve of power, effective brakes and excellent road manners. When so many Duesenbergs are relegated to static display, it is a pleasure to come across an example that is used with enthusiasm, as was originally intended.
Over the past 50 years, this Murphy Roadster has been featured in a number of publications, most notably Beverly Rae Kimes’ The Classic Car, Antique Automobile and Automobile Quarterly. Throughout this period, it has been owned and admired by the most discerning Duesenberg enthusiasts, each contributing to the pedigree and provenance of this superb motorcar.
Perhaps of greatest importance, this highly desirable Disappearing-Top Murphy Roadster is a correct and genuine example that still retains its original chassis, engine and coachwork, a quality that few Model J Duesenbergs can claim.
The Murphy Roadster has long been the darling of the collector car hobby and few would question its status as the most iconic representative of the classic American automobile. Because their appeal has stood the test of time, these cars reside only in the most prominent collections and exceptional examples are rarely offered for public sale.
We are proud to present J-284, a superb Model J that possesses all the fabulous qualities that have made the Duesenberg name a legend among classic car enthusiasts. .
THE body style for Duesenbergs and in stunning condition
#32 – Shelby Cobra 289 1962 #CSX2026 Racer – Offered US$2.5 million
The Hogeater. A piece of Shelby racing history is being offered for sale. This 1962 Cobra CSX 2026, nicknamed “The Hogeater”, was the first Cobra ever to win a race in the US and the First Championship winning Cobra. It won the SCCA-A Production National Championship in 1963 helping secure Shelby American’s First Manufacturer’s Championship.
The car was prepared as a team race car with initial body and chassis modifications including Koni shocks, a steering brace, a 37-gallon fuel tank with a quick release filler, a hood scoop, front and rear brake cooling scoops, dual brake master cylinders, alloy brake calipers, anti-sway bars, stiffer springs, a roll bar and quick jacking points front and rear. The dash is dominated by a placard indicating the positions of the floor-mounted fuel valve. It originally had a short racing windshield and the top of the left door was cut back to give the driver a little bit more arm clearance. The 289 V8 was fitted with 12:1 pistons, a roller cam, special headers and exhaust system, a Spalding Flamethrower ignition, a nine-quart oil pan, an oil cooler, and a Stewart-Warner auxiliary electric fuel pump. Four Weber 48IDM carburetors on a prototype intake manifold replaced the usual Holley 715 four-barrel.
After its first race it was modified with a full-width windscreen, bigger fender flares, front wheel spats, and 6.5 and 7.5 inch wide Halibrand magnesium wheels.
Most of this Cobra’s wins came at the hands of Privateer Bob Johnson from Columbus, Ohio. In recognition of its ability to beat the Corvettes, Johnson’s Cobra was nicknamed “The Hogeater” and he was dubbed “King Cobra”.
In 1964 CSX 2026 was sold to Minnesotan Jerry Hansen who finished 6th in the Central Division. It was then sold to another Minnesota racer Jim Whelan who ran it in mainly regional SCCA events. Whelan’s season ended after an accident in the summer of 1965. After being rebuilt CSX 2026 headed south for a few years before being discovered by a Michigan collector and restorer. It then passed to two more owners before being restored by Wisconsin Cobra expert Randy Bailey. Bailey restored CSX 2026 using advice from Bob Johnson and photographs of the car at Sebring and drawings by the artist Bill Millburn to authenticate its 1960s race configuration.
This historic Cobra has been invited to appear at the 2012 Monterrey Motorsports Reunion which will celebrate the Shelby Cobra marque.
One of the greatest racing Cobra’s, the first to win a race in the USA. Worth at least the US$2.5 million price tag
#33 – Panhard et Levassour Grand Prix 1908 – Offered
1908 Grand Prix Panhard – Levassor, 12.5-Litre Double Chain drive
The ex- Maurice Farman, ACF Dieppe Grand Prix Works Entry
The 1908 French Grand Prix at Dieppe witnessed a coming together of the titans of motorsport, a showdown between the great manufactures of the time.
Organised by the Automobile Club de France, the event was a 10-lap endurance race of almost 50 miles per lap, with average speeds of 80mph on roads of loose gravel. With packed grandstands lining the route it was an incredible spectacle to which a truly international entry flocked. Beyond the French entries there were Mercedes, Benz and Opel from Germany, Itala and Fiat from Italy, Austin from England and Thomas representing the USA.
Panhard-Levassor were true automobile pioneers, securing two previous victories on the Gordon Bennett Trophy and tree successive Circuit des Ardennes triumphs. They built 3 cars especially for the 1908 Grand Prix, boasting huge 4 cylinder, 12.5-Litre engines. There were coupled to a 4-speed gearbox linked to double chain drives, giving an extraordinary top speed of 100mph. Maurice Farman, a pioneer aviator, was the chosen pilot of car number 32.
At various times during the 1908 race Farman was amongst the front-running pack. It was both the Mercedes and Benz teams, however, that had made the more prudent tyre choice, and it their regular changing of wheels and rubber kept Panhard-Levassor off the podium.
Following disagreements between the manufacturers another Grand Prix was not staged until 1912, with a 3-Litre capacity restriction the agreed solution. As such the Grand Prix cars of 1908 were the last of the great, big-capacity, chain-driven racing cars, and the end of an unparalleled era.
Following Dieppe, a wealthy Argentinean instructed Labourdette to road equip the Grand prix car, which would be used for both road and race events in the South America nation. Laid up in 1930 and discovered in 1972 in extraordinarily original condition, it was then acquired by its current owner. Upon its return to Europe, Bentley specialist Dick Moss carried out the painstaking task of both preserving and restoring the car.
For 40 years the current owner has enthusiastically used this mighty machine in all manner of events, driving from his home in England to compete at circuits all over Europe, as far south as Bordeaux and Le Mans, before driving back again!
Possibly the most original and complete Grand Prix car from the pre-1912 era, and definitely the most important surviving French Grand Prix car of the period, this titan of the chain drive era is a testament to how powerful a force France was in those early pioneering days of motorsport.
A great Grand Prix car, and worth whatever it costs, maybe best for a museum as how many original 1908 Grand Prix cars are there ?
#34 – Packard 1108 1934 Dietrich Convertible Victoria #1108-15 NOT SOLD @ US$2.2 mil.
1934 Packard Twelve Convertible Victoria by Dietrich, Inc.
Available Upon Request
Chassis No. 1108-15
AUCTION RESULTS: Lot was Not Sold at a high bid of $2,200,000
Eleventh Series. Model 1108, Style 4072. 160 bhp, 445.5 cu. in. modified L-head V-12 engine, three-speed selective synchromesh manual transmission, vacuum-assisted clutch, shaft drive with hypoid rear axle, front and rear leaf-spring suspension, and four-wheel, vacuum-assisted mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 147″
• One of three known examples remaining today
• The ultimate classic Packard; capable of extended touring
• Best in Class winner, 2011 Concours d’Elegance of America
• Excellent provenance including noted collectors
Some of the greatest creations of the Classic Era arrived at the very trough of the Great Depression. Nonetheless, Packard was in excellent financial health and redoubled its efforts to dominate America’s fine-car market, meeting the competitive threat from Cadillac and Lincoln head-on with the all-new, 12-cylinder Twin Six and a range of spectacular custom bodies by LeBaron and Dietrich, Inc.
Packard’s new Twelve was, in many ways, the signature car of the classic era. However, it was in a sense never meant to be. In fact, the car’s history goes back to the Cord L-29 and the great Miller front-drive racing cars. Packard management became intrigued with the idea of front drive and commissioned the construction of a prototype. The decision was made to develop a 12-cylinder engine for this new car, as the shorter length of a V-12, compared with Packard’s inline eight, allowed more flexibility in packaging the new front-drive chassis.
Extensive testing revealed weaknesses in the front-drive chassis design, and the anticipated development costs soared. Meanwhile, Cadillac ignited the multi-cylinder race with their new 16- and 12-cylinder models, and Packard dealers acutely felt the pressure. The solution, born of necessity, was to install the new 12-cylinder engine in Packard’s proven Deluxe Eight chassis. The result was christened the Twin Six, in honor of Packard’s first V-12 design, which debuted more than 15 years earlier.
By 1933, the name was changed to the Packard Twelve to clearly convey the power behind the new car. It and the Eleventh Series were the last cars with flowing fenders and classic lines, before the advent of the more highly streamlined look. The front ensemble is truly beautiful, with a graceful vee-shaped radiator shell and matching headlights and fender lights. The dash itself is a work of art, looking more like a jeweler’s display than an instrument panel.
One of the most respected designers of the classic era, Ray Dietrich was also one of the most influential. After stints at Brewster and LeBaron, he formed Dietrich, Inc., where his smart and elegant designs attracted the attention of Packard management. Soon, Packard became one of Dietrich’s best customers. Lacking an in-house styling department, Packard incorporated Dietrich design cues into its later production cars. In fact, after 1933, all open Packards built carried Dietrich body tags. Nevertheless, Dietrich still built a few custom bodies for the senior Packards, and these special cars have come to epitomize the ultimate in Classic Era styling.
The Convertible Victoria is in many respects the most desirable of the Packard custom Dietrichs. Its blind quarters give it an unsurpassed elegance, and unlike the convertible coupe, the car provides far more versatility with luxurious accommodations for up to four. Although the style was offered from 1932 through 1934, the 1934 models have proven to be the most desirable today. They are unique in many respects, offering special “wind-split” trim, a redesigned dash intended to accommodate an optional built-in radio and several chassis enhancements. The body changes, however, make the 1934s so desirable.
The hood was extended back over the cowl to the base of the windshield in an unbroken line from the radiator to the main body, lending a much longer hood than that of the earlier cars. The vent doors were beautifully curved, as were the leading edges of the doors. The combination was, and remains, quite striking, and as a result the 1934 models command substantial premiums today. Although exact numbers are not known, it is believed that as few as three and as many as four or five Style 4072 Dietrich Convertible Victorias may have been built on the Packard Twelve Model 1008 chassis, priced at a commanding $6,080 new. Only three examples are known to exist today.
This handsome and well-known example benefits from the care of several notable collectors over the years. In 1948 it was purchased in Maryland by Robert Wellcome of Westchester, New York, who recalled that he had acquired the car from a local bookmaker, who had purchased the car from a local dentist.
The dentist had bought the car for his daughter but found it too big for her to handle. At that time, he was told that the car was originally sold in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area. Mr. Wellcome said what impressed him most was how the seller reached into the car and touched the starter button, and it fired on the first turn. Mr. Wellcome kept the car for nine years and reluctantly sold it to Packard collector Ted Fuller. Mr. Fuller kept the car for 16 years before selling it to Frank McGowan on August 29, 1973. During the early 2000s, Mr. McGowan remembered the car’s excellent condition. Finished in black with a black leather interior, the car was original for the most part, and he recalled that the body was exceptionally solid with no rust at all.
Before long, Mr. McGowan sold the car to John Wheatley, a longtime Packard enthusiast who was one of the first to recognize the desirability of the custom Dietrich cars. He restored the car during the late-1970s or early 1980s and later passed it on to noted Texas collector Jerry J. Moore in 1984.
The car remained in Mr. Moore’s vast collection until 1996, when it was acquired by noted collector Dr. Joseph Murphy. During this period, the Convertible Victoria was featured on Pages 55 and 56 of Packard by Dennis Adler, which was published in 1998 and again in 2004.
In 1998, the Packard joined the renowned Otis Chandler Collection in Oxnard, California, where it remained on display for four years before Dave Kane of Bernardsville, New Jersey acquired it in 2002. Mr. Kane recently confirmed that when he and Rich Fass of Stone Barn Restorations had examined the car in detail, the Dietrich body was indeed original to the car, and both its wooden framing and the body’s overall integrity were particularly impressive. Noted collectors Joseph Cassini III and Margie Cassini acquired the Convertible Victoria during the summer of 2004, and under them, a new navy blue convertible top was fitted by RM Auto Restoration. In 2006, the current owner acquired the car and fitted a set of chrome wheels and new wide whitewall tires and also commissioned the rewiring of the electrical system.
The excellent driving dynamics of the car were once again confirmed during a long-distance tour from Seattle, Washington to Pebble Beach—a journey which was anticipated to be 1,500 miles but grew to some 1,700 miles as a result of highway detours around forest fires sweeping parts of Oregon. On its return to the show field at the 2011 Concours d’Elegance of America at St. John’s, the Dietrich Convertible Victoria was awarded Best in Class, Classic Era Open 1934-1942.
Today, despite the age of the restoration, the car remains in wonderful overall condition, reflecting the excellent care it has received over the years. Reluctantly, the current owner is now selling the car to reduce the size and complexity of his private collection. In addition to its excellent color combination and the aforementioned navy blue convertible top, the Twelve is handsomely complemented by such desirable period features as dual side-mounted spare tires with covers and accessory mirrors, the aforementioned chrome wire wheels with whitewall tires and twin Pilot Ray driving lights.
In the world of American Classics, some cars stand out as being among the very best of the best; this is just such a car. Its lines are without fault, and its still-wonderful present condition permits it to be shown or driven. As one of three known examples, and especially with its Dietrich Convertible Victoria body and majestic long-wheelbase chassis, it may very well represent a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for collectors of the finest, rarest and most inspired automotive masterpieces of the Classic Era.
Please note this vehicle is titled by its engine number.
Possibly THE Packard Twelve, an astonishing car with a great history, simply one of the best looking 30’s American cars. Worth at least US$2.5 mil.
#35 – Bentley 6.5 Litre 1927 VDP Tourer #BX2421 NOT SOLD @ US$2.0 mil.+
1927 Bentley 6 1/2 Litre Sports Tourer
Coachwork by Vanden Plas
CHASSIS NO. BX2421
ENGINE NO. DH2201
Registration No. YE 9859
Body No. 1377
$2,000,000 – $2,500,000
■An Important Vintage Bentley with Original Coachwork
■Desirable Factory-Delivered Specifications
■The First 6 1/2-Litre Vanden Plas Sports Tourer
■Well-Documented History Since New
■Ideal International Event Entry
■Beautiful Presentation of a Very Significant Vintage Bentley
EMAIL A SPECIALIST
PRINT THIS PAGE
6,597 CC SOHC Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
Twin SU Carburetors
200 BHP at 3,500 RPM
4-Speed Manual “B” Gearbox Upgraded to “C” Specifications
4-Wheel Servo-Assisted Mechanical Drum Brakes
Semi-Elliptical Leaf-Spring Suspension with Friction Shock AbsorbersThe Bentley 6 1/2 Litre
By 1925, W.O. Bentley had realized a need to be more competitive in the market. With the Rolls-Royce Phantom and other marques building large-displacement motorcars, Bentley was motivated to develop a six-cylinder model. Expanding on the success of its four-cylinder cars, Bentley produced an overhead camshaft, four-valves-per-cylinder, dual-ignition 6,597 cc six-cylinder variant. The torque produced from the new car was exceptional.
As intended, the vast majority of new six- cylinder chassis were fitted with heavy formal coachwork and it was a rarity to see sporting bodies mounted on the powerful 6 1/2 Litre Chassis. That formidable combination eventually went on to win Le Mans.
Heralded for its lightweight design, the Vanden Plas Sports Tourer was desirable coachwork affixed to the chassis of a sporting Bentley. Vanden Plas began building bodies for Bentley as early as 1923 and, by the time the doors closed in 1931, they had clothed every chassis type and nearly all the Factory Team cars. The Vanden Plas Sports Tourer was, however, a more regular sight on four-cylinder chassis.
When assembled at the W.O. Bentley works in late 1926, Chassis BX2421 received several desirable factory upgrades not seen on standard cars until the following year. These special features included the larger 26-gallon petrol tank and the more powerful push-on brakes. Further outfitting included bonnet locks, a side filler for the petrol tank and a rev-counter. Lastly, BX2421 received a lengthened steering column, a rare specification usually intended to accommodate more unusual coachwork. As noted at Vanden Plas on February 19, 1927, and according to Bentley Motors’ specification, BX2421 was slated to receive Vanden Plas coachwork.
The coachwork chosen for BX2421 was not that of an ordinary Vanden Plas Tourer. Most notably, BX2421 was ordered with aluminum paneling, helmeted fenders and dual rear spares, all distinct and attractive in their own right. The scuttle was lengthened and the rear cut short, giving the car the aesthetics of a longer bonnet with the four-seat body ending just over the rear axle. In addition, the brake lever was fitted inside the coachwork and the lampposts were modified and upgraded to fit stirrup-mounted Zeiss headlamps. A Vanden Plas photograph of the car finished in grey with black wheels shows the striking appearance of the big Bentley.
On the 5th of March 1927, order 1377 with Vanden Plas further called for the driver side of the body to be cut down to form an “arm rest.” Additionally, the double rear-spare carrier was altered and a large trunk was added at the rear. A locker was fitted to the driver side, the steps were reduced in width, a center-folding armrest was specified for the back seat and all doors were to have pockets. A flat petrol tank guard was fitted, and lastly, the car was delivered with down cushions, a full set of side curtains and a screen wiper.
BX2421 was unquestionably expensive and undoubtedly intended for long-distance touring and, by the time of its completion, the car was sold to its first owner, E. Bullivant of Mortimer House in London. BX2421 is also noteworthy as the first 6 1/2 Litre delivered with a Vanden Plas Sports Tourer body.
The car saw regular service with Bentley Motors throughout 1928, during which it received many mechanical updates, including coil ignition and an updated carburetor. 1928 also marked the changing of early 6 1/2 Litre dynamo configuration, moving the unit to the front of the crankshaft.
In 1929, Mr. Bullivant part-traded BX2421 to London Rolls-Royce and Bentley agent Jack Barclay for a new Speed Six Saloon. As a dedicated customer, Mr. Bullivant went on to purchase yet another new Bentley in 1931, an 8 Litre Saloon. An invoice from Jack Barclay to Richard Winsloe dated June 13, 1929, marks the sale of BX2421 and a transfer of guarantee. Having traded in his 4 1/2 Litre Tourer, the 6 1/2 Litre purchase required an additional £300.
Upon Mr. Winsloe’s purchase of the Bentley, a service was performed during which the mileage was noted to be 17,443. As expected, the car had been a long-distance tourer. Further maintenance continued and, in approximately one year, Mr. Winsloe had covered just 5,000 miles. In 1930, the car received the updated Bluemel spring steering wheel and, after some engine work, the mileage was set to zero. In 1931, BX2421 received a new front axle assembly at the factory.
After Rolls-Royce purchased Bentley Motors in 1931, maintenance records continued, but the work was often conducted by Birkin & Couper. In the case of BX2421, they were tasked with making the desirable upgrade of modifying the original “B” gearbox with the 3rd and top gear of a “C” Box.
In 1936, after seven years in Mr. Winslow’s ownership, the car was sold to C. Burrage- Moulton of Leverstock Green, near Hemel Hempstead in the UK. In 1949, BX2421 changed hands to Dr. M.H. Harding and later to A.J.L. Evans, G.S. Baigent and N.S. Gibbons in 1957, 1963 and 1964 respectively. In 1966, the car was sold to E.C. Lynch who brought it to the US. G. Hoff purchased the car in 1971, followed by C.F. Brown in 1979 and M. Triggs in 1981.
In 1983, BX2421 subsequently found its way into the hands of Irene Laidlaw. After decades of private ownership, the car was offered to the public in 1990 and made its way back into a private collection in England. In 1991, W.H. Wrather purchased the car from C. Pettit and the Stratford Motor Museum.
Throughout its post-war life, BX2421 saw the replacement of its wings with the more standard Vanden Plas long wings and the fitting of a standard rear-wheel carrier but, prior to its public sale two decades ago, the car appeared again with helmet-style wings and a trunk at the rear. BX2421 has also received the sensible upgrading of carburetion to run the Speed Six dual-SU configuration.
Upon close inspection, one will discover the great originality of the coachwork and, as with all Vanden Plas coachwork, the body number 1377 is stamped in numerous places on the wood framing. The gauges, lamps and other ancillary hardware are either original or correct. Against the firewall under the dash, one can find an exceptionally rare and original insulated pad, which still shows the changing of the dynamo in 1929. For a Bentley expert, BX2421 is exceptionally correct and the original details are a delight to see.
BX2421 remains a matching-numbers example carrying its original body and the first of just five 6 1/2 Litre models built with open Vanden Plas coachwork. This car stands as one of just a handful of surviving original-bodied, matching-numbered 6 1/2 Litres. BX2421 is without question one of the most exceptional Bentleys in the world.
BX2421 is accompanied by Bentley factory and Vanden Plas records, as well as other documentation from its more recent service history. Featured in numerous Bentley publications, BX2421 has remained an important example of the marque. Today, BX2421 is handsomely finished in black over green leather and, having seen regular maintenance over the last decade, is likely be a strong event entry where its immense torque and long legs are sure to impress. A worthy example for the finest collection, this is a Bentley not to be missed. .
Like the 4.5 Litre also offered by Gooding at Arizona, this is a matching numbers original bodied Bentley, but also it is a 6.5 Litre, a great car with an excellent story, I would suggest US$2.5 million or more.
#36 – Mercedes – Benz 380K Spezial Roadster 1934 – Offered @ EURO 2 million
#37 – Porsche 935/76 1976 #930 570 0001 (R14) SOLD US$2.3 mil.
■The First 935 Built and the First 930 Chassis
■Factory Prototype Used for Testing and Development Work
■First Overall at Watkins Glen and Third at Dijon
■Driven by Rolf Stommelen and Manfred Schurti
■An Integral Component of Porsche’s 1976 Group 5 Championship
■Only Four Private Owners Since Leaving Porsche
■Well-Preserved, Largely Unrestored Condition
■The Only Works 935/76 in Private Ownership
■A Significant Piece of Motor Racing History
EMAIL A SPECIALIST
PRINT THIS PAGE
2,875 CC SOHC Flat 6-Cylinder Engine
Bosch Mechanical Fuel Injection
Single KKK Turbocharger
Estimated 590 BHP at 7,800 RPM
4-Speed Manual Gearbox
4-Wheel Drilled and Ventilated Disc Brakes
Independent MacPherson Strut Front Suspension with Coil-Over Shock Absorbers and Anti-Roll Bar
Independent Double Wishbone Rear Suspension with Semi-Trailing Arms, Coil-Over Shock Absorbers and Anti-Roll BarThis Car
The history of 935-001, and Porsche’s 935 program at large, has its origins in a major revision to the FIA’s Group 5 category.
While the general template for Group 5 had been in place since 1966, for the 1976 racing season the FIA changed the rule book to allow extensive modifications to production-based vehicles homologated in Groups 1 through 4. These “special production cars” were designed to contest the World Championship for Makes and followed the “silhouette” rules, which permitted major bodywork and chassis upgrades as long as the basic silhouette was unchanged when viewed from the front. The new regulations gave Porsche an ideal opportunity to further refine the turbocharged 911 and compete for the Manufacturer’s Championship with a highly developed works entry. The result was the 935.
The development of the Type 935 began in late 1975 with the car presented here, chassis 930 570 0001 – the first 935 built and the first Porsche to carry a 930-prefix chassis number. Internally designated R14, 935-001 was constructed in late 1975 and made its first test runs at the Paul Ricard Circuit in December.
The all-new 935 showed clear signs of its evolution from the Carrera Turbo 2.14 models of 1974. Like the 1974 Group 5 Porsche, the 935 featured radically styled fiberglass bodywork, coil-spring suspension, massive rear tires and a turbocharged flat-six engine. Whereas the Carrera Turbo 2.14 developed between 400 and 500 bhp depending on boost, the new 935 was conservatively rated at 590 bhp, with as much as 630 bhp available for short bursts.
During these early test sessions at Paul Ricard, each of the works drivers was given an opportunity to try out the new car. Jochen Mass, who had been signed to drive for the Porsche works team in 1976, drove the 935 at Paul Ricard and was quite impressed by its power. In an interview with Road & Track magazine, Mass recalled his experiences with Porsche’s latest machine:
“During early-season testing at Paul Ricard, I had the Turbo on the track at the same time that some Formula 1 cars were practicing. In the turns, the Formula 1 cars could pass the Turbo, but once I caught them in the straights, I could pass and pull away.”
Following the various testing and development trials, Porsche constructed 935-002 to serve as the primary Martini Racing Team works entry throughout the 1976 season. In its first two races (Mugello and Vallelunga), the works 935 was without competition. At Le Mans, a non-championship race for 1976, 935-002 won the Group 5 class and placed 4th overall. 935-001 certainly contributed to the factory effort, acting as the practice car for Stommelen and Schurti during the pre-training sessions.
Despite the early successes of 935-002, reliability issues developed, which allowed the BMW team to gain a foothold. Late in the season, with the competition from Munich closing in, 935-001 was prepared and brought into service in an all-out attempt to win the Group 5 Championship.
The debut race for 935-001 took place on July 10, 1976, at the Six Hours of Watkins Glen in New York. In a combined field of 33 SCCA Trans-Am and FIA Group 5 entries, Stommelen and Schurti were given the reins of 935-001, while Mass and Ickx were assigned to the other Martini works 935. After qualifying in 2nd position, 935-001 dominated the six-hour race, setting the fastest lap and taking the checkered flag ahead of Egon Evertz’ 934/5 and 935-002.
Following this triumphant success, 935-001 was sent to Dijon, France, where it took part in the final race of the 1976 championship season on September 4th. Once again driven by Stommelen and Schurti, the works 935 maintained a steady pace throughout the six- hour event, finishing in 3rd Place behind 935-002 and the Valliant-sponsored Kremer entry. Not only did this result clinch the 1976 Group 5 World Championship for Makes Cup for Porsche, it marked the first time that the championship had been won by a forced-induction car.
Beyond their success on the track, the Martini works 935s were featured in “A Tale of Three Turbos – Production vs. Group 4 vs. Group 5,” a comparison test that appeared in the January 1977 issue of Road & Track. While the original plan called for a direct, back-to-back test at Watkins Glen, both Martini & Rossi 935s were forced to return to Weissach in preparation for the final round at Dijon. Due to this circumstance, the 935 segment of the road test was conducted at Porsche’s test track.
Having moved on the updated 935/77, Porsche included 935-001 in a package of cars that was sold to Vasek Polak in Hermosa Beach, California. For approximately two decades, the 935 remained in Polak’s California garage, surrounded by other significant Porsche racing cars and a remarkable collection of spare parts. Notably, in the Spring of 1991, Porsche wrote a letter to Vasek Polak Racing Inc. detailing the unique history and race record of 935-001.
When the Polak collection was eventually sold in the late 1990s, Kevin Jeanette acquired 935-001 and the former works 935 once again joined an exceptional stable of racing Porsches. From there, the 935 was sold to John Kotts of Houston, Texas, a collector with a passion for important competition cars.
In July 2009, after a lengthy pursuit, Matthew Drendel was finally able to acquire 935-001. Due to its status as a factory team car and its unique place in Porsche history, the 935/76 has always been considered a centerpiece of the Drendel Family Collection, and its close relationship to R9 – the 1974 Martini & Rossi Carrera Turbo 2.14 – speaks to the earliest days of turbocharged racing cars.
Almost 40 years have passed since it last raced for the Martini factory team, yet 935-001 remains in remarkably original condition, never having been comprehensively restored. As a result, this important Porsche displays a lovely patina throughout and possesses an impressively authentic character.
Today, 935-001 retains several important distinctions that separate it from every 935 that followed. Not only is this the first 935 built and the first production Turbo chassis, this car is the only ex-works 935/76 in private ownership. That its sister car, 935-002, has been a part of the Porsche Museum Collection since the close of the 1976 racing season is a powerful testament to the enduring significance of the original Martini team cars.
Furthermore, its racing achievements at the height of international competition – a win and a podium finish – and well-documented provenance are beyond reproach. Since leaving the factory, 935-001 has had just four owners, each a respected and knowledgeable proponent of the Porsche marque.
The remarkable success of the original 935/76 works cars urged Porsche to build approximately 37 customer cars between 1977 and 1979. The 935s, in their various guises, remained competitive for nine seasons and achieved outright victories at Le Mans, Daytona and Sebring. Even today, the Porsche 935 holds a legendary status in the history of international motor sport.
935-001 is the car that started it all: the car that was used to develop the 935 series, the car that helped capture the 1976 Group 5 Championship, and the car that contributed to Porsche’s peerless reputation as a leader in technical innovation.
The appearance of 935-001 at auction represents a remarkable opportunity, one that is not to be missed.
The 935, it doesnt get any better than this, price was if anything a little bit light.
#38 – Bentley 4.5 Litre VDP Dual Cowl Tourer 1929 #KL3584 SOLD US$2.145 mil.
1929 Bentley 4 1/2 Litre Dual Cowl Sports Tourer
Coachwork by Vanden Plas
CHASSIS NO. KL3584
ENGINE NO. KL3584
Registration No. GC 3270
Body No. 1635
■Exceedingly Rare, Matching-Numbers, Original-Bodied Example
■Exceptional As-New Specifications
■Unique and Advanced Vanden Plas Design
■Known History from New
■Ideal International Event Entrant
■An Important and Desirable Vintage Bentley
EMAIL A SPECIALIST
PRINT THIS PAGE
4,398 CC SOHC Inline 4-Cylinder Engine
Twin SU Carburetors
4-Speed Non-Synchromesh “C” Gearbox
4-Wheel Mechanical Drum Brakes
Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs with Friction-Plate Shock AbsorbersThe Bentley 4 1/2 Litre
By 1926, Bentley saw a need for a new four-cylinder model. Although a Le Mans winner, the 3 Litre was wanting in international competition and the standard road cars suffered from increasingly heavy bodies. With the 6 1/2 Litre in production, Bentley sought to combine the light chassis of the 3 Litre with the added power of a larger motor. The result was essentially a chassis from a 3 Litre with a cut-down four-cylinder version of the 6-1/2-litre engine.
As one would expect, the new 4 1/2 was immediately put to use in competition. With a handful of 4 1/2 Litre Team Cars at their disposal, the Bentley Boys quickly amassed Le Mans and Grand Prix finishes and victories. Although the Speed Six was the true victor at Le Mans for Bentley, it was Birkin’s respect for the 4 1/2 Litre that led to the development of the Blower Bentley.
The 4 1/2 was W.O.’s racing workhorse, but the production 4 1/2 Litre was to be, in most cases, a luxury car fitted with saloon coachwork. For Bentley enthusiasts, the 4 1/2 Litre was a racing car. Campaigned privately throughout Europe, the 4 1/2 quickly gained a reputation for being the best-handling Vintage Bentley with an exceptional power-to-weight ratio. It was only fitting, albeit sad, that many 4 1/2 Litre models were stripped of their original coachwork and rebuilt as Vanden Plas Le Mans Tourers.
As Bentley’s preferred coachbuilder, Vanden Plas produced a standard Sports Tourer for the 4 1/2 Litre. The fabric-bodied tourer with long wings was a handsome, sporting automobile and, with its lightweight construction, the 4 1/2 proved a fast car. In addition to the standard coachwork, Vanden Plas built bodies to order, as is the case with KL3584. Commissioned September 16,1929, KL3584 was specified to order as a special four-seat Sports Tourer.
As with previous design 464, the body was to include a second cowling and screen, a body style used on a small number of Speed Six chassis. The result was proportional perfection – a 4 1/2 Litre with the aesthetics of a six-cylinder car, the genius of which lay in the details. The cowl was extended, leading to a raked windshield with quarter glass, and the front doors were fitted with roll-up windows, a rare and luxurious appointment in 1929. The body remained closed- coupled, enclosing the brake lever, with the coachwork ending directly over the rear axle. The second cowl and second windscreen provided comfort for the rear passengers and the back end was finished with a very tidy and purposeful trunk. Iconic Vanden Plas long wings accentuated the low length of the car. Originally finished in black with painted lamps, the “as-delivered” photo of the KL3584 portrays the powerfully elegant specifications.
Ordered through Kensington Moir and Straker Ltd., KL3584 was delivered new to Captain P.R. Astley of Portland Place, London, in late 1929. Capt. Astley kept the 4 1/2 for approximately two years. Throughout his ownership, the car saw regular maintenance with Bentley Motors, accruing nearly 20,000 miles. In 1931, Capt. Astley wed stage actress Madeleine Carroll and, in that same year, the 4 1/2 was sold.
The second owner was Mr. A.M. Jones of North Kensington, London, and the Bentley remained in the London area and continued to receive factory servicing. With approximately 25,000 miles on the odometer, the 4 1/2 was sold to J.B. Stennett of The Laurels, near Winchmore Hill in England. Mr. Stennett was known to have owned at least one other significant Vintage Bentley, a 1925 3 Litre Super Sports. The car remained in his care and the factory service records continue to note maintenance into 1938, without any major work or replacement of parts.
During WWII, the whereabouts of KL3584 remain unknown, although early post-war photographs show that the 4 1/2 fortunately survived in London undamaged. Acquired by avid Bentley enthusiast, BDC member and highly regarded and authoritative restorer of the marque H.J.K. “Tony” Townsend, KL3584 saw spirited use in his care.
Photographs from the 1950s attest to the total originality and completeness of the car during the post-war period. Seen with Mr. Townsend at the wheel, the 4 1/2 appears as-new with a few minor exceptions. A series of false chrome louvers were fixed to the radiator, an unusual attempt to give the car the appearance of an 8 Litre or 4 Litre model. Additionally, the headlamps were changed to the more desirable Lucas P100 type fitted to a Barker dipping system.
That ownership lasted for 13 years, at which point KL3584 passed to Per Thorvaldson in Norway. Six years later, Philip Wichard of Glen Cove, Long Island, visited Norway while travelling through Europe. At first sight, Mr. Wichard recognized the greatness of the car and negotiated a deal. In 1971, KL3584 was bound for America. With lasting restoration work dating from Mr. Townsend’s ownership, KL3584 needed little preparation before Mr. Wichard could show the car.
In its first major outing at the RROC National Meet in Newport Beach, California, KL3584 had the honor of being the first Bentley to win Best of Show at an RROC National Meet. With the growing scarcity of matching-numbers, original-bodied Vintage Bentleys, it was a much-deserved win for such a unique car.
Mr. Wichard retained the 4 1/2 Litre for 24 years, until his collection was sold in 1995 by Christies. As the highlight of the sale, KL3584 commanded a strong premium, selling for a figure comparable to many Blower Bentleys at the time. The fortunate buyer, Nicholas Springer of Maidenhead, Berkshire, England, kept the car for four years before selling it to German collector Mr. B. Fusting. In 1999, KL3584 also received its FIVA Passport and was displayed at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este.
In 2003, the car was briefly sold to Mr. C. Grohe of Switzerland before returning to Germany in 2008 where it found a home with Uwe Kai on the Tegernsee outside Munich. In Mr. Kai’s ownership, the 4 1/2 received some needed attention and regular maintenance. Receipts from 2005 to 2010 account for over €40,000 worth of work that included the installation of an overdrive, a common and sensible upgrade for 4 1/2 Litres.
Seen here in a well-patinated and fitting dark green finish, KL3584 remains exceptionally original. The original frame and engine remain, as well as the original and desirable C-type gearbox. The 4 1/2 has a proper appearance, both under the bonnet and in the driver’s seat. An original Vanden Plas body tag is mounted just above the dash, as well as a plaque denoting its 1973 Best of Show. This particular 4 1/2 is an ideal international event entry as a driver’s automobile as well as a notable concours entrant.
The body of this remarkable Bentley remains in original form with its special front windscreen and roll-up front windows, a feature just two cars are known to have. The second cowl and collapsible rear screen make this a very adaptable and comfortable touring car. Striking in photographs, KL3584 is truly something to be seen in person. A proportionately handsome 4 1/2 in such sporting form is a rarity, especially considering the extremely limited survival rate of original cars.
With the scarcity of matching-numbers, original-bodied 4 1/2 Litres, KL3584 is unquestionably one of the best. In addition to its known ownership history, this 4 1/2 has been held in high regard throughout its 82 years. This is a rare opportunity, and not one to be missed. With the growing status of pedigreed Vintage Bentleys as collectible motorcars, KL3584 is a motorcar of great significance. .
How many original matching numbers Bentleys can be left ?, hut stuff, no wonder it went for a little over US$2 million.
Rolls Royce Silver Ghost Roi des Belges 1909 #60970 Offered
Location: Orange Village, Ohio, United States
Chassis #60970. The only short wheelbase sport chassis Silver Ghost in existence. Restored to original specification, including Roi des Belges coachwork. Interesting, documented history. Simply stunning.
This Silver Ghost, chassis number 60970, is the only short wheelbase sport chassis Silver Ghost in existence. It carries a duplicate of its original Barker Roi des Belges bodywork, has a known, fascinating history from new, and presents in breathtaking, concours-ready condition throughout. One of the most impressive, documented, and authentic early Ghosts in the world, this is a unique opportunity to own a significant automobile that can anchor even the most impressive collections and museums.
Having won events like Pebble Beach, Meadow Brook Hall, Amelia Island, and being a multiple Rolls-Royce Owner’s Club winner, 60970 is a stunning automobile in every regard. The cream coachwork contrasts brilliantly with the charcoal gray leather upholstery and black canvas top, and is virtually flawless inside and out. Compared to the Roi des Belges bodies built on the standard chassis, many feel that the shorter sport wheelbase results in a more balanced appearance and tidier proportions. Detailing is exceptional, with charcoal gray pinstripes and polished hardware throughout the chassis. Accessories include a python horn, running board mounted toolboxes and shoe cleaning mats, and a complete tool roll.
The interior is tastefully trimmed in charcoal gray leather with polished wood and nickel accents. The polished aluminum and oak dashboard sports an array of useful gauges, from oil pressure to an Elliott Brothers speedometer. As with the exterior, there are virtually no flaws, no marks, and no wear to any of the components.
Powered by its original 7.2-liter inline six cylinder engine making 48 horsepower, 60970 is a fantastic runner. Thanks to the sport chassis and original subframe-mounted 4-speed gearbox with overdrive, it is a spirited performer and can easily accelerate from barely more than a crawl to top speed in high gear. A 12-volt starting system has been added, as well as an air pressure type fuel system, making this a reliable, powerful, brass-era tourer that will be the star of any event.
Silver Ghosts of this caliber are seldom offered on the open market. Restored to extremely high standards, this car remains competitive at the highest levels, and is gladly welcomed at any show or driving event in the world. With uncompromising quality, sparkling performance, and a fascinating story to tell, this short wheelbase sport chassis Silver Ghost is unique among its peers.
For more information, a detailed ownership history, and more than 60 additional photographs, please visit www.VintageMotorCarsUSA.com.
The only Short Wheelbase Rolls left, in impeccible condition and the meaning of desirable, has to be worth about US$2 million.
#40 – Mercedes 28 – 60 1915 Offered
From the start Mercedes cars were elegantly designed for high performance and favored by royalty and financiers of the old and the new world. Many others switched allegiance when in 1914 Mercedes placed first, second and third in the French Grand Prix. After starting life as an open torpedo, this 28/60 was rebodied by the Mercedes factory as an open-front town car in 1917. As the current owner was restoring the car, it was decided to build an exact replica of the original torpedo coachwork. Early cars often had summer and winter bodies. The tools needed for this seasonal transformation are stowed under the bonnet.