April 27th 2012 – Auto of the day – Unique cars
It is rare to find a pre-war race car that is fully documented with no ‘stories’. So we are very pleased to offer this delightful Amilcar for sale. Amilcar built three or four of these race cars, all for private customers, and this is the only survivor. The car has its original 2.5 litre four cylinder engine and its original body. Depending on the race regulations it could be run with or without wings and the disappearing windscreen either up or down.
The first owner was Maurice Mestevier but, apart from a couple of occasions, the car was exclusively driven by his ladyfriend, Madame Roux. In events like Le Mans or Paris-Saint Raphael a girlfriend shared the driving.
In 1945 the car was sold to the renowned French collector Serge Pozzoli who kept it until his death when it was sold at auction in Paris in 1994. Subsequently restored in a sympathetic fashion, the car has participated in a number of historic events including Le Mans Classic.
The following race history is confirmed but certainly not exhaustive.
Reims Grand Prix, retired
French Grand Prix, 3rd
Lorraine Grand Prix, 1st in class
Grand Prix Automobile Club de France
Puymorens Hill Climb, 1st sports category
Le Mans 24Hours, retired
Paris-Saint Raphael, 1st in class
Paris 12 Hours, 1st in class
Coupe de Paris, retired
Being offered here: http://rossclassic.com/forsale/amilcar-pegase-race-car-for-sale
Value: US$500,000 – 1.0 mil.
Comment: Wonderful, interesting, underpowered French sportscar from the late 1930’s, what a history though. Would be the only one like it. Exquisite.
1926 Arab Super Sports Low Chassis Tourer
The naturally talented British design engineer Reid Railton was born in 1895, the son of a Manchester stockbroker. He joined Leyland Motors in 1917, where he worked with J.G Parry-Thomas on the luxury Leyland Eight. In 1922 he left Leyland to establish the Arab Motor Company in Letchworth, Hertfordshire. Two members of the Spurrier family, Leyland’s founders, were directors of Arab Motors. The Arab’s 2.0-litre overhead-camshaft four-cylinder engine was a further link with Leyland, for its valves were closed by leaf springs, just like those of the Parry-Thomas-designed Eight unit. However, the Arab set-up was a considerable improvement over the Leyland one, using two cams per cylinder to the Eight’s one which, together with offset rockers enabled valve overlap and therefore greater power. Railton’s innovative engine was proven in various racing prototypes prior to the formation of Arab Motors. The production Low Chassis Super Sports was introduced in 1926, priced at £550 and guaranteed by the factory to achieve a top speed of 90mph. The two-seater High Chassis model could be purchased for £525 and had a terminal velocity of nearer 80mph.
After the death of his friend Parry-Thomas in 1927 (killed driving the ‘Babs’ Land Speed Record car at Pendine Sands), Railton closed the Arab factory and went to work for Thomson & Taylor at Brooklands – Parry-Thomas had been Major Ken Thomson’s partner in Thomson Inventions Development Co Ltd, which became Thomson & Taylor after his death. Railton took over as the company’s technical director with responsibility for John Cobb’s Napier-Railton that took the Brooklands Outer Circuit record in 1933, as well as Sir Malcolm Campbell’s Bluebird Land Speed Record cars of 1931 to 1935. While at Thomson & Taylor he also designed the chassis of the ERA and, after the war, was responsible for the Railton Mobil Special with which John Cobb set a new Land Speed record of 394.7mph in 1947.
The car being offered is the first Arab Low Chassis model which was assembled at Thomson & Taylor’s Brooklands premises following the closure of Arab’s Letchworth factory. It was originally fitted with engine number EA12, but in 1936 acquired EA20 from one of Railton’s earlier racers. Known as the ‘Spurrier Railton’, the latter had been campaigned by Railton, Sir Henry Spurrier and Messrs Parker and Shorrock. Railton himself competed with it in the 75mph Short Handicap and 90mph Long Handicap events at the Brooklands Easter Meeting in 1924; the car also raced at Southport and elsewhere. The engine’s casting date of 1923 and a contemporary photograph from the late Sir Henry Spurrier’s albums apparently both confirm its origins.
Between 1941 and 1974 ‘PK 7930′ passed through various hands, including those of the Stratford-upon-Avon Museum, before being acquired by the renowned motoring historian and author, Brian Demaus. During Brian Demaus’ ownership it was restored as closely as possible to its specification when first registered for the road in March 1929. Thomson & Taylor’s original coachwork was retained, while the engine was overhauled by Ron Foottit of Cleobury Garages Ltd and the gearbox refurbished using new components manufactured by Templeton Engineering of Woodmancote, Cheltenham. Since completion the Arab has participated in various vintage motoring events, competed at a VSCC meeting and attended three Brooklands Reunions, covering some 6,000 to 7,000 miles in the process.
The vendor currently regards the bodywork, paintwork, interior trim, engine and gearbox of ‘PK 7930’ as being in “very good” order and “remarkably original”. The bodywork is finished in Grey and the interior in Grey leather. The Super Sports is MOT’d to the end of September 2012. Of the 6 or 7 Arabs thought to have been manufactured, only two examples are known to have survived; both Low Chassis models, of which ‘PK 7930’ is the only original one currently complete and running. It has been the subject of numerous magazine features over the years and, in view of Reid Railton’s enormous contribution to Britain’s World Land and Water Speed record history, remains of abiding interest and importance, and rightly so.
Sold April 2012 for UKP150,000
Comment: A cool little car, very different to just about anything else, and 90MPH in 1927 was pretty good. Excellent little car.
1963 ATS 2500 GTS
During the year of 1963, ATS developed, based on the shape/frame of the „2500 GT“, a sport version called the „2500 GTS“.
The technical design basically stayed the same keeping the revolutionary mid engine layout. However, most major changes where made on the engine. Different from the 2500 GT the 2500 GTS was additionally equipped with 4 Webber carburators. A much higher output was reached through the significantly larger carburators, which increased the DIN horsepower to 260.
The body design stayed the same. It was built entirely out of aluminum by Allemano. The net weight, dry and without gas, came in at roughly 750 kilograms and the top speed was reported to have been set at 255 kph. These figures however have never been confirmed by an official entity.
Back then journalists were banned from driving or owning a GT or GTS. The GTS entered a number of competition but never managed to truly convince. The first 2 prototypes were enlisted for the legendary 1000 km race on the Nürburgring in may 1963. The cars however never arrived at Nürburgring. The truck transporting the vehicles had a bad accident on the way which damaged both cars entirely.
2 additional GTS were als enlisted to race in the „Targa Florio“ on april 26 that same year with the likes of drivers such as Giancarlo Baghetti and Piero Frescobaldi. Baghetti drove the fastest lap of the race but unfortunately never finished, just like Frescobaldi, both due to engine failure.
There are no official records of a produced number of units of the GTS. No information regarding this matter has ever been published. Most sources however point to a mere 5 GTS ever build. This includes the 2 models involved in the 1963 crash on the way to Nürburgring. These 2 GTS have never been restored/repaired. That only leaves 3 intact ATS 2500 GTS on the planet today.
The particular model in question with the vehicle identification number (VIN) 015/63 and engine number 007 is in immaculate condition and is ready to be raced. It has recently been restored by Gianni Regiani who was the master craftsman of ATS in those days, making him the only person left today who truly understands this unique automobile. The car also comes with FIA papers and FIA-HTP pass.
For detailed information or inquiries please feel free to contact us
Being offered here: http://www.anamera.com/en/detail/car/143870/index.html?no_cache=1&ret=63
Asking price: ??
Value: US$600,000 – 1.0 mil.
Comment: A lovely, fast and quite beautiful car, would be a cool drive as well. 1 of 3 alive today so it isn’t like you will come across another.
CD-PANHARD – 1964 24 H du Mans by Charles Deutsch
The Le Mans Prototypes: the elite of Classic racing cars.
The CD offered for sale is part of the Autodrome Collection. This mythical car, with its unbelievable shapes is true and alive …
During the fifties and the sixties, the 24 Hours of Le Mans used to mean much more than today : it was not a media and marketing business, but an absolute dream that only a handful of heroes could achieve… Those Vingt-Quatre Heures (24 Hours) used to be the toughest challenge that a car manufacturer could take. Designing and building a car for Le Mans was an incredible adventure.All the most famous makes had to race at Le Mans : Bentley, Jaguar, Maserati, Ferrari, Aston-Martin, Lotus, Ford, Matra, Porsche… The scary speed records reached in the Hunaudières straight, still intact in the sixties, have fascinated the entire world, and the ultra-aerodynamic shapes of the best prototypes enabled their drivers to go beyond all limits: 250 kph for the clever, ultra-light CDs, 308 kph for the Maserati tipo 151/3, 380 for the Porsche 917 LH, ad even 405 kph for the French Peugeot-powered WM …
The CD were part of this bunch of “monster cars” designed for speed and victory, such as the Jaguar Type C and D, the Aston-Martin DBR1, the Ferrari Testa Rossa, 250 P, the Maserati 151, the Ford GT40, the Porsche 917, and many others. Their record-breaking Cx (air penetration coefficient) of the CD-Panhard was as low as 0,12 – never equalled since then – and combined with a 560 kg weight, enabled record lap times with only a one-litre engine.The car for sale : one of the two legendary CD Prototypes made for the “24 Heures du Mans” 1964. Only two CDs LM64 have been built by the Team of Charles Deutsch, especially for the famous endurance race. The history of this LP64 chassis 01 for sale is well known. It has remained about fifteen years in the hands of the manufacturer, before being sold to a French collector. It then became the property of another enthusiast and expert of the make, who decided the restoration of certain parts – without deviating from the authenticity and integrity – . This work was entrusted to EPAF (see picture below), created by former experts and technicians of Matra-Sports.
The structure is a rigid and light steel beam, supporting a Panhard twin-cylinder that has been tuned for performance and reliability (distribution gear in aluminium, forged pistons, double-ignition). Independent suspensions are associated with inboard disc brakes suspended at the front and drums at the rear.
It should be noted that this CD is still fitted with its original five-gear ZF box – overhauled and in perfect condition -, the ultra-long fifth gear for Le Mans high-speed is also available. The experimental tires (135×14) specifically developed by Michelin in 1964 are available, but for safety reasons the wheels are now fitted with “soft” Dunlop X-AS FF. Similarly, the period springs and shock absorbers have been replaced (but are still available) by recent adjustable devices. The gasoline tank is the original one, made of riveted Aluminium, filled for safety reasons, by a race-legal foam.
The cockpit is totally original, with the mechanical rev counter, and all instruments in running order. In order to meet the standards of the historical competitions, the safety roll-bar as well as the safety harness-type belt (four points) have been recently installed.
The glass fibre body, as described below in detail, is the result of extremely advanced theoretical studies, relating in particular to the interaction between the dynamic behaviour of the frame and the aerodynamics.
With this car, are also provided certain replacement parts, such as a windshield, its fabrication mould, and, on request, an additional engine can also be provided.
Dry Weight : 560 kg.
Dimensions: 1,07 X 4,25 m X 1,64 m, passo : 2,27m.
Ready to run… but also road-legal for “out-of-this-world” driving experience.
This CD is the authentic CD Le Mans prototype #01, preserved in perfect condition. it will be the star of any great collection. It will also offer immense satisfactions and excitement to the driver, either in Historic Races, or on the road. This important Historic automobile is not only in compliance with current FIA regulations, and also legally registered for road use. The 1964 Le Mans, one of the greatest Years.Let’s remind that the 1964 year is one of the best for the 24 Hours of Le Mans : that year, the “Ford the Giant” challenged Ferrari for the first time… At a period when, after four successive victories at le Mans, Ferrari was the most admired racing car manufacturer in the world. This first confrontation, strongly publicised by Ford, was the focus of the whole world, and 300.000 spectators gathered around the Le Mans track.
The V8-powered Ford GT 40 had been designed – for the first time in history – based on computer programs, and their futuristic shapes draw enormous attention. Will the Italian genius Enzo Ferrari resist the overwhelming “dollar-powered” Ford ? Ferrari won again, and it took two more years before Ford could finally win in 1966. In 1964, all categories where packed with fabulous cars, that have become legends since then : Maserati 151, Porsche 904 GTS, Abarth, Iso-Rivolta, Cobra Daytona – winners of the GT category and defeating the legendary Ferrari GTO – , Alfa-Romeo Tubolare Zagato, Jaguar E Type Lihtweight, but also Alpine M63, René Bonnet and CD LM64. Left.: the first Ford GT built for the 24 H of Le Mans 1964 ; note wire wheels, and last-minute added spoilers. Right: legendary Porsche 904 GTS also started its fabulous career in 64.
The leading edge of modern aerodynamics. The extremely complex studies conducted for the design and construction of the CD included high-level mathematic calculations about the interaction between the air flows, the cross-wind effects, the suspension flexibility, and many other parameters leading to a whole new conception of the aerodynamic science for racing cars development. The famous rear fins were developed following very advanced theories, and enable the car to combine an extremely low drag and a high stability at full speed. The CD of Le Mans still represent today, together with the Porsche 917 LH – designed in collaboration with CD – a major step in the History of the “24 Hours” but also in the History of racing cars in general. A few years after, due to serious accidents in the Hunaudières straight, the race track was modified to ban ultra-high speeds, and putting an end to a fabulous era of legendary hand-made prototypes, and opening the computer-designed racing car period. One of the most beautiful racing cars in the History.A daring concept, associated with innovative theories about aerodynamics produced an incredible machine, combining science and art : indeed the CD is a work of Art as well as a technological masterpiece. The famous signature of the CD, the rear fins, remain today a source of fascination, as much as the Chaparral wings…
The Dawn of a new era.
It is important to observe that this CD-Panhard opened a new era in racing cars : until the beginning of the sixties, engine and chassis were the key resource to win, whilst aerodynamics was seen as merely a way to decrease air resistance. But in the modern era, aerodynamics became essential and more particularly its interaction with road-handling, suspensions, down-force, stability, and any recent racing car takes inspiration in these early developments, when ground effect was put in practice for the very first time (see picture below)…
One understands better this irreversible change and the birth of the “modern” sports cars by looking at the Chaparral 2E and 2F with their wing directly linked to the wheels, followed by the 2J with its aspiration device, the Lotus 78 and 79, systematically taking advantage of the ground effect pioneered by CD, or even the most recent Formula 1 and prototypes, which are designed from the first sketch with aerodynamics and its interaction on suspension and chassis, in mind..
This central “tunnel” channels air flow to generate a ground-effect, stabilising the car without penalising the Cx (drag).The high-tech EPAF experts have restored this CD, together Matra F1, and other celebrities. The 1964 CD 01 prototype is kept safely in one of our garages, together with the world-famous “one-off” Miura SVJ Spider…(now sold)
PRICE : POA
Being offered here: http://www.autodrome.fr/cd_panhard_le_mans_64_english.htm
Value: $300,000 – 500,000
Comment: A unique, quite special car, with a tiny engine but amazing aerodynamics. Just look at it, not sure what you could actually use it for except to look at. THE AUTO OF THE DAY.
1937 Squire 1½-Liter Drophead Coupe by Corsica
Available Upon Request
To be auctioned on
Saturday, March 10, 2012
110 bhp, 1,496 cc Anzani supercharged DOHC inline four-cylinder engine, four-speed Wilson pre-selector gearbox, solid front axle and live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 104″
• The only Squire bodied by preeminent English Corsica coachworks
• Fully restored and beautifully presented
• Unique example of ultra-rare British sports car
• Supercharged Anzani engine
• The first of the final three cars built by Val Zethrin
• Known ownership history including Cameron Millar
• Shown at Pebble Beach and The Quail; multiple awards including Amelia Island and Mar-a-Lago
Adrian Squire was just 21 when he set out to build his own motor car. Dreaming of such a venture since he was a schoolboy, at 16 he sketched out a whole catalogue for the “world’s greatest sports car.” He envisioned advanced engineering and light, flowing coachwork sitting on a chassis with a low center of gravity. In many ways, he succeeded beautifully. The car we have the pleasure of offering here is proof positive of the young man’s vision.
At age 18, Squire was apprenticed to Bentley Motors and later worked as an assistant draftsman at MG. On his 21st birthday in 1931, he inherited £20,000, the capital with which he financed Squire Motors. With a friend, Jock Manby-Colgrave, he set up shop in Henley-on-Thames and formed Squire Car Manufacturing Company in 1934.
For his engine, Squire selected a 1.5-liter DOHC four, designed by T.D. Ross of Frazer Nash. Production of the engine was handled by Anzani, then supplying Frazer Nash with engines. The name “Squire” was cast into the block and manifold, giving the impression of an in-house operation. With a Roots-type supercharger designed and built by David Brown, the 1,496-cc powerplant produced 110 bhp. Squire decided on a Wilson-type E.N.V. preselector gearbox and E.N.V. live rear axle. The chassis frame was exceptionally rigid with cruciform bracing, and adjustable friction shock absorbers allowed control over ride and handling. For stopping power, its hydraulic brakes were given huge 15-inch magnesium alloy drums. From the fourth car, an underslung rear axle was used. Bodies on the early cars were by Vanden Plas, but a less-expensive body by H. Markham, Ltd. of Reading was soon adopted.
Although its chassis was completed in February 1934, the first Squire was sold in May 1935. Squire built a single-seat racer to generate enthusiasm and orders. Customers, however, did not materialize in any number, perhaps because the cars cost almost as much as a Bugatti. The last car built in 1935 was sold to Val Zethrin of Chislehurst, Kent. After but two deliveries in 1936, Squire Car Manufacturing Company was shut down, and Adrian Squire went to work at Lagonda.
Zethrin, however, took up the project, purchasing all the parts on hand. Between 1937 and 1939 he built a further three cars. Adrian Squire, sadly, was killed in a bombing raid while working at the Bristol Aeroplane Company in 1940.
As enthusiasts reflect on the Squire’s mark on sports car history, it can rightly be said that it was one of the fastest and best handling, performing and braking sports cars built prior to World War II—faster and better handling than most prewar race cars and certainly capable of out-braking many cars well into the 1950s and even the 1960s. The only direct comparisons might be the Type 55 Bugatti and Alfa Romeo 8C 2300, but the Squire’s braking advancements surpassed those of its cable-and-rod actuated colleagues. Aside from the brakes, Adrian Squire understood that a flexible chassis would yield suspect handling, and his extraordinary suspension system, which stiffened itself as it was loaded, produced otherworldly handling for the era. Not until the mid-1950s was this design criteria universally understood by postwar manufacturers.
Adrian also understood that, by moving the center of gravity as low as possible and by reducing un-sprung weight at the car’s extremes, roll and uncontrolled movement were virtually eliminated and performance and handling improved without need for more horsepower. In other words, more power could be put to the road in a controlled way to provide nothing but effortless acceleration, not only out of the turns but into and through them. Simply put, the term “superior” is rightly applied to the Squire’s mechanical specification.
Chassis 1063 was the first of the final three cars built under Val Zethrin’s supervision, completed in the autumn of 1937. Originally ordered by Geoffery Munro and laid down by Adrian Squire before he left the company, it was completed subsequent to Zethrin’s arrival. In contrast to the other cars, which featured tourer bodies by the likes of Vanden Plas, Markham and Ranalah, this car was fitted with sleek drophead coupe coachwork by Corsica. Upon delivery it was issued British registration BGB 34, a Glasgow number from September 1937.
Corsica coachworks was established at Kings Cross, London in 1920 by Charles Stammers and his brothers-in-law, Joseph and Robert Lee. Always a relatively small operation, the firm claimed not to have employed designers, preferring instead to directly carry out its customers’ devices and desires. Because Corsica was small and could cater intimately to customers’ whims, the workshop attracted many of the sporting crowd, and while little is known of the early ’20s Corsica output, a good deal of it is believed to have involved Bentley.
The early 1930s brought some of the best-known Corsica coachwork, including a low-slung sports body for the Double Twelve Daimler and an open two-seater for Donald Healey’s 1935 Triumph Dolomite, by which time the works had moved to Cricklewood. For MG general manager Cecil Kimber, Corsica worked up a drophead coupe for a supercharged K-Type Magnette. In addition to traditional British marques Rolls-Royce, British Salmson, Frazer Nash and Lea-Francis, Corsica also worked on Continental chassis, mainly Alfa Romeo and Mercedes-Benz. Later on, more than a dozen Type 57 Bugattis were bodied, including one for Sir Malcolm Campbell, the Grand Prix driver and land-speed record holder. Like many of the bespoke builders, Corsica closed its doors during World War II, never to re-open.
This Squire was owned for many years by British Maserati aficionado Cameron Millar. In December 1984, it was exported to the United States in the ownership of Dr. Douglas Oosterhaut, a prominent San Francisco plastic surgeon. Dr. Oosterhaut used it regularly until 1986, when he sold it to California collector Bob Cole, who drove it for some ten years. During Cole’s ownership it was serviced and maintained by Phil Reilly & Company, the respected California restoration and vintage motorsport workshop. In the spring of 1995, Bob Cole passed the car on to his son Rob, proprietor of Cole Classic Corporation in Burlingame. That June it was acquired by Washington State collector Pat Hart.
Although the car was remarkably original and in good running order at the time of sale, Hart embarked on an extensive, three-year, no-expense-spared restoration. Undertaken by Don Vogelsang in Seattle, the rebuild was complete and involved some enhancement of the body.
Hart was convinced that the body had been built to grace another chassis, since it seemed uncomfortable on the Squire. The hood sat a bit high, hiding the top of the iconic radiator shell that graced all the cars from Squire Car Manufacturing Company. To correct the proportions, he had Vogelsang section the body by two inches. This allowed the entire radiator shell, previously partly hidden, to see the light. The transformation required some further modifications to the trunk area: “take a couple of darts out of it,” he instructed Vogelsang in tailor talk. The beltline now sat lower, and the tumble-home of the trunk was less severe. A new top was made, a vee’d windshield was fitted, and sculpted skirts were added to the rear fenders. As a finishing touch, a toolkit was fashioned into the bottom-hinged trunk-lid. Enthusiasts will agree the modifications are simply spectacular.
It was finished in the original black, complemented by light blue leather. Fresh from the shops, the car made its debut at the 1998 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. After the show it took pride of place in Hart’s private collection, where it remained until his passing in 2002. It was then stored until 2010, when it appeared at The Quail, a Motorsports Gathering, at Quail Lodge in Carmel, California. The current owner acquired it shortly thereafter.
Since acquisition, the owner has had the engine returned to top running condition, as it had languished from disuse. It has now been completely re-sealed and reflects the concours condition that the car displays. The 2011 show season was exciting, beginning at Palm Beach, Florida, where it was voted People’s Choice and Best of Show at Classic Sports Sunday at the Mar-a-Lago Club in January. At Amelia Island in March it received the Breitling Award for Timeless Beauty, then copped Designers’ Choice at the prestigious Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California and finished Best in Class at California’s Del Mar Concours in October.
Each Squire automobile is unique in its own way. It is not a breach of grammar, however, to say that this one is more unique than all the others, not simply because it is the only Corsica-bodied example but because it has a completely different character than any of the others. Its aesthetic appeal can hardly be overstated. Although all Squires are heralded by the laid-back vee-shaped radiator grille, their bodies are typically of “trad Brit” sports car idiom. Hart and Vogelsang, however, in shaping this car added a substantial dose of French elegance and élan, such that it seems to spring forward, out of its skirted hindquarters. The windscreen now mimics the vee of the grille, and huge headlamps team with driving lights to illuminate the way ahead. The engine room, meanwhile, is a brilliant display of industrial art.
Nine of the original ten Squires survive. This one is, quite simply, the loveliest of them all.
Sold by RM Auctions March 2012 for US$990,000
Value: About that, maybe a little more
Comment: Just look at the thing……….